Tara D. Sutton is member of Robins Kaplan LLP. Chair of Mass Tort Litigation Group. Trial practice focusing on representing individuals harmed by the pharmaceutical and medical device industry.
Member of plaintiffs’ negotiating committee in Benicar litigation that resulted in a settlement fund of $358 million.
Represented clients in the New Jersey Multi-County Stryker Rejuvenate and ABG II Modular Hip Stem litigation, including two Plaintiffs who resolved their cases through the NJ Court’s bellwether mediation program. Assisted in developing a global settlement program for both the multi-county litigation and the federal multi-district litigation, a program valued at over $1 billion. Appointed to the settlement negotiation team and will serve as a member of the Plaintiffs’ Settlement Oversight Committee.
Lead counsel in Daubert proceedings in Abilify, Chantix, and Mirapex product liability litigations, successfully defeating defendants’’ challenges to plaintiffs’ scientific experts on causation.
Trial Counsel in Charbonneau v. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Pfizer, Inc.Represented plaintiffs in first Mirapex products liability bellwether trial. On July 30, 2008, jury returned a verdict in favor of plaintiffs for $8,279,300, including $7.8 million in punitive damages for failing to warn of risk of compulsive behaviors, including pathological gambling, from the Parkinson’s drug Mirapex.
Trial Counsel in Zwayer v. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Pfizer, Inc.Represented plaintiffs in second Mirapex bellwether trial. Case was confidentially settled prior to closing argument.
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., (1992)
- University of Iowa, B.S.
- U.S. District Court, Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter; Co-Chair, Mass Tort, Multi-District Litigation, and Class Action Practice Group
- Firm’s Professional Development Committee, Co-Chair (2004-2005)
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Association for Justice, Board of Governors
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Public Citizen
- Public Justice Foundation, Former President
- Journal of Corporation Law, University of Iowa, Editorial Board (2018)
Rate : $$$$