Attorney General Thurbert Baker co-leads Dentons’ US State Attorney General practice, serves on the US Board and he also serves on Dentons’ Global Board. His practice focuses on corporate compliance and investigations, complex state legal and legislative matters, public policy and regulatory affairs, multi-state litigation, public sector procurements and regulatory matters.
Attorney General Baker served as the attorney general for the State of Georgia for 13 years under three different governors. He has been consistently selected as one of the “100 Most Influential Georgians” by Georgia Trend Magazine.
In 2009 he was the recipient of the first annual Barack Obama Political Leadership award from the National Bar Association for his pioneering achievements as a public servant and an elected official. Men Looking Ahead Magazine recently selected him as its “Man of the Year”.
In addition to his impact on the state level in Georgia, Attorney General Baker also has a broad national network, having served as the President of the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG) from 2006-2007. He has been recognized as one of “America’s Top Lawyers” by Black Enterprise Magazine and served for over a decade as NAAG’s representative to the American Bar Association’s House of Delegates.
He has gained respect and cultivated relationships with some of the nation’s top governing officials and business leaders through his work with NAAG, Democratic Attorneys General Association (DAGA), Republican Attorneys General Association (RAGA) and other organizations. This experience and network of key relationships enables him to effectively advise clients on a wide range of issues involving State Attorneys General, as well as in complex federal legal and legislative matters.
Attorney General Baker began his career in politics, spending eight years in the Georgia House of Representatives. He served in Governor Zell Miller’s Administration as the House Floor Leader, sponsoring several pieces of significant legislation, including the HOPE Scholarship, awarded to Georgia residents who have demonstrated academic achievement and attend college in Georgia, and legislation to strengthen penalties for repeat violent felons.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BA
- Emory University School of Law, JD
Admissions and qualifications : Georgia
Activities and Affiliations:
- “Emerging Issues in Mass Tort Practice,” Law Journal Symposium on Torts Reform, Widener University School of Law, June 5, 2013.
- “2013 Annual Government Contracts Briefing,” McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP, May 7, 2013.
- “Transforming Local Government Conference,” Closing Ceremony and Keynote Address, Alliance for Innovation, April 12, 2013.
- “Soaring to New Heights,” 16th Annual DBA International Conference, February 6, 2013.
- “State Attorneys General: Champion of Consumer Protection,” National Foundation of Judicial Excellence, 2012 Annual Symposium, July 13, 2012.
Rate : $$$$