Valentin G. Aguilar is a business attorney who represents major private and institutional investors and lenders in large, sophisticated real estate transactions in California and throughout the United States. With significant experience across all asset types, Alen focuses on joint ventures, workouts, and enforcement of lender remedies for distressed loans.
He also counsels clients on acquisition, financing, and disposition of real property and debt instruments in individual and portfolio transactions. Clients rely on Alen for help with complex office, retail, and industrial leasing transactions.
In addition, Alen is a trusted advisor in the negotiation and structuring of complex agreements in the settlement of protracted real estate disputes and litigation.
- Represented a real estate investment firm in the acquisition, through joint ventures – and in the financing and disposition – of multifamily, office, and retail properties, and the handling of debt instruments across the United States with a collective value in excess of $6.8 billion
- Represented clients in purchase and sale transactions of various Class A “trophy” buildings, including Aon Center in Los Angeles, California (2003 and 2014); Lake Merritt Plaza in Oakland, California (2014); Wells Fargo Center in Seattle, Washington (2013); Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood, California (1999); and Monument III in Herndon, Virginia (2007)
- Represented a national university in various real estate transactions, including a proposed shared-use stadium agreement with a professional football team, and the development of a large mixed-use and student housing project
- Represented a client in the acquisition of a $150 million+ portfolio of multifamily residential buildings in Los Angeles, California, and the subsequent sale of individual properties from the portfolio
- Represented a client in a “build-to-suit” and sale transaction involving the development of high-end residential apartments in Laguna Niguel, California, with a total consideration in excess of $50 million
- Represented an opportunity fund in the sale of commercial and residential real estate owned properties located in the southwestern United States
- Served as lead counsel to the Los Angeles Lakers in the sale of the Forum – the Lakers’ historic home venue – in connection with the team’s move to the Staples Center
- On behalf of an institutional lender, handled a workout and enforcement of $260 million in direct and syndicated loans secured by large tracts of land, finished lots, and residential properties in Colorado, Arizona, and California
- Represented a lender in a workout of a $35 million credit facility secured by senior and mezzanine interests in a portfolio of motels in California
- Structured a discounted payoff on a $68 million mortgage loan secured by a portfolio of medical office buildings in California, Arizona, and Florida, and represented the owner in the subsequent sale of individual properties from the portfolio
- Represented one of the largest shopping center real estate investment trusts (REITs) in the United States in various retail leasing matters across the country
- On behalf of a Fortune 500 healthcare services company, completed a complex restructuring of hospital ground leases, in settlement of litigation against the company’s healthcare REIT.
- J.D. University of Southern California, Gould School of Law 1996
- B.S. University of California, Riverside 1991
Bar Admissions : California
Rate : $$$$