William R. Burford focuses on sophisticated tax, wealth planning, and estate matters, representing clients with issues involving tax, estate, and business succession planning; formation and operation of tax-exempt organizations; trust and estate administration; and probate controversies.
Bill’s experience includes handling forms of irrevocable trusts and other estate planning instruments, partnership and LLC agreements, real estate transfers, court petitions, tax returns, audits, and ruling requests.
Bill offers a diverse range of experience to his clients. In addition to several years spent as a litigator, Bill has served as a clerk on a federal court of appeals, as a managing director at the J.P. Morgan Private Bank, and as a project director at The Nature Conservancy, an international conservation organization.
- LL.M.New York University School of Law2002
- J.D.cum laudeUniversity of Michigan Law School1991
- B.A.with high distinctionUniversity of Michigan1988
Bar Admissions : California
Court Admissions : U.S. Tax Court
Clerk Experience : Honorable James L. Ryan U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Professional Memberships :
- Member, executive committee, California Lawyers Association, Trusts and Estates Section
- Author of articles in Trusts & Estates, Estate Planning, Tax Management Estates, Gifts and Trusts Journal, California Trusts & Estates Quarterly, and other professional journals on tax and estate planning issues
- Speaker at Hawaii Tax Institute, USC Tax Institute, UCLA-CEB Estate Planning Institute, the Southern California Tax & Estate Planning Forum, and other conferences on tax and estate planning, trust administration, and related topics.
Rate : $$$