Andrew Nicholas Sawula relies on his wide range of experience and broad perspective to guide clients through the often complex maze of environmental and natural resources laws. Effective counseling does not begin and end with the law.
Andy knows that understanding a client’s operations and its business objectives is an important step in solving its problems. His clients value that perspective when they ask him for counsel on their most challenging problems.
Clients rely on Andy to guide them through compliance and permitting issues arising under numerous environmental laws. Andy is well versed in the remediation and redevelopment of contaminated sites, including complex urban river sediment sites. He also has significant experience designing and implementing procedures to comply with the New Source Review and New Source Performance Standards programs.
When disputes arise, Andy has a strong track record of successful outcomes before state and federal courts and administrative hearing boards on matters such as Superfund cost recovery and contribution claims and Clean Air Act enforcement actions. Some of these lawsuits focus squarely on the interpretation of an environmental law. Others turn on the resolution of contract disputes, confidentiality claims or trade secret claims.
In addition to compliance counseling and litigation, Andy regularly helps clients in other administrative and transactional settings. Andy guides clients responding to government information requests, such as requests under Section 114 of the Clean Air Act, Section 104(e) of CERCLA, and Sections 308 and 311 of the Clean Water Act.
Andy advocates clients’ interests in administrative rulemakings, and he represents buyers, sellers and lenders in a variety of transactional settings, including transactions that are designed with the primary purpose of transferring environmental liabilities.
Andy is a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee, co-chair of the Attorneys with Disabilities Subcommittee, and also serves as chair of the Veterans Subcommittee.
- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, J.D., 2002
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.M.E., 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- American Bar Association
- Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice, Member
- Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, Member
- Section of Litigation, Environmental and Energy Litigation Committee, Newsletter Co-Editor
Rate : $$$