Arthur (Art) T. Carter is board certified in labor and employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He advises employers on the labor law aspects of mergers, acquisitions, asset and stock sales, business reorganizations, consolidations, shutdowns, and bankruptcy.
He also counsels employers on strategic considerations relating to collective bargaining and labor relations and regularly serves as principal spokesman for management in labor contract negotiations.
Art has extensive experience in labor arbitration, litigation of whistleblower complaints under the health, safety and environmental laws administered under Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and cases involving breach of employment contract, employment-related torts and restrictive covenants.
Art has represented employers in numerous federal and state courts and before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and its regional offices throughout the country and other administrative agencies such as the U. S. Department of Labor (DOL), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and OSHA.
He has taken part in bankruptcy court proceedings concerning labor law issues such as Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) and the applicability of sections 1113 and 1114. His experience includes:
- Labor contract negotiations for employers in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia with various unions including CWA, UAW, USW, IBT, and IUOE.
- Advice, counsel and necessary drafting concerning shutdown, curtailment of operations, transfer of work, and WARN compliance.
- Advice and counsel to unionized employers concerning soft or hard pension freezes, retiree health insurance, and bargaining and contractual duties concerning same.
- Defense of employers in NLRB unfair labor practice proceedings, related subpoena enforcement litigation, and pre-election hearings involving bargaining unit issues.
In addition to his legal practice, Art writes and lectures on labor and employment issues facing employers. He previously was an adjunct professor at Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law, where he taught labor law and labor and employment arbitration. During law school, he was lead articles editor for the South Dakota Law Review.
- J.D., University of South Dakota, 1976
- B.A., University of Minnesota, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
Professional & Community Affiliations :
- Member, Committee on the Development of the Law Under the National Labor Relations Act, Section of Labor and Employment Law, American Bar Association
- Member, Committee on ADR in Labor and Employment Law, Section of Labor and Employment Law, American Bar Association
- Member, Committee on Employment and Labor Relations Law, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association
- Conference Co-Chair, Annual Course on Labor Law and Labor Arbitration, The Center for American and International Law, 2010-2012
Rate : $$$$