Brian P. Waagner helps clients avoid and resolve complex disputes on government contracts. He has a unique ability to coordinate legal strategy with the technical, financial and practical issues that often arise under such agreements.
With more than 20 years of experience as a trial lawyer and commercial litigator, Brian represents contractors in bid protests and in litigation involving complex claims and disputes.
He also advises clients on contract compliance and administration issues, corporate due diligence matters and allegations of False Claims Act violations. Brian represents clients in the construction, healthcare, technology and energy industries.
- Represented successful offeror in defending three Government Accountability Office (GAO) bid protests challenging award of $350 million Corps of Engineers contract for remediation of nuclear waste.
- Represented protester in GAO protest matter arising from award of $200 million Air Force contract for design, construction and site operations services at Andrews Air Force Base.
- Advised national real estate developer on contract administration, audits and cost issues arising from cost-reimbursement design-build contract for construction of $1 billion Department of Defense office building.
- Represented global engineering and construction management firm in federal court litigation of claims arising from multimillion-dollar contract for construction at Baltimore-Washington International Airport.
- Represented successful offeror in GAO bid protests seeking to overturn award of $480 million contract for interoperability testing and certification services.
- Represented Fortune 100 company in contract interpretation and compliance matters arising from procurement, award and administration of multiyear Department of Defense contract for administration of healthcare benefits to TRICARE beneficiaries.
- Advised private health insurers and benefits administrators on scope of private insurer liability for healthcare services delivered through Veterans Administration and Military Treatment Facilities, as well as Indian Health Service, Indian Tribes and Urban Indian Organizations.
- Advised owner and developer of wind and solar energy facilities on warranty and property insurance coverage issues presented by defects causing catastrophic failure of wind turbine components.
- Represented international energy developer in resolving $40 million delay and disruption claim asserted by EPC contractor on hydroelectric plant in Nepal.
- J.D., Cornell Law School
- A.B., University of Georgia
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- American Bar Association, Public Contracts Law Section, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Federal Bar Association, Northern Virginia Chapter
- Virginia Bar Association, Public Contracts and Construction Law section
Rate : $$$$