A recipient of the New York Law Journal’s 2018 “Rising Stars” award for being one of “the region’s most promising lawyers who are no older than 40,” Christopher Y. L. Yeung is a litigator with significant trial experience.
He represents clients in a wide range of high-stakes and complex litigation, including contractual disputes, corporate governance- and business-related torts, securities actions, trade secret disputes, trade control cases, and white collar defense and investigations.
Mr. Yeung is one of the firm’s hiring partners and is co-chair of the summer associate program in New York.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2007
- University of Virginia, B.A., 2002
Judicial Clerkship : Hon. D. Brooks Smith, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2008 – 2009
Bar Admissions : New York
Representative Matters :
- Won a complete defense victory for one of the world’s largest steel companies in an International Trade Commission investigation involving allegations of trade secret misappropriation, unfair imports of falsely designated goods, and price fixing. The false designation and price fixing claims were terminated before trial, and the trade secret misappropriation claim was voluntarily withdrawn.
- Won a complete defense verdict for a McKesson Corporation subsidiary in a nearly half a billion dollar trade secret trial. After eight years of litigation between the parties, Covington was hired to try the case months before trial.
- Won substantial judgments in favor of New Media Holding and its sister-company, New Media Distribution, following a five-month trial in a multi-national corporate control dispute over the ownership of the TVi Channel, a Ukrainian television network. The judgments were affirmed on appeal.
- Representation of a subsidiary of a Fortune 10 company in a multi-national export controls-related internal investigation. The matter was resolved successfully without any monetary penalties or referral for criminal or administrative prosecution.
- Representation of an individual defendant in a criminal tax fraud prosecution. After pleading guilty, the client received a sentence that did not include any term of imprisonment.
- Representation of the co-founder of a private equity firm in obtaining a settlement of his lawsuit and derivative action in Delaware Chancery Court. The action was settled favorably on the first day of trial after accelerated discovery.
Pro Bono :
- Successfully briefed and argued an appeal on behalf of an abused wife to defeat a petition filed against her in connection with a custody battle.
- Representations of various plaintiffs in lawsuits alleging constitutional torts, including false arrest, malicious prosecution, and use of excessive force.
- Advised an environmental not-for-profit in connection with its incorporation and application for tax-exempt status.
Previous Experience :
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Western District of Virginia, Intern (2006-2007)
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Central District of California, Civil Division, Summer Extern (2005)
- Teach For America, English Teacher (2002-2004)
Rate : $$$$