Darren G. Gibson is an experienced litigator and trial attorney in federal and state courts across the country. Darren defends private and public-sector employers in a range of individual and class action cases, including discrimination and retaliation claims, wage and hour collective actions, whistleblower suits, and non-compete agreements, among others.
He has litigated cases in courts across Texas, including first-chair jury trials, and he has argued appeals before the Fifth and Ninth Circuits. Darren also represents employers in administrative investigations and proceedings and regularly advises his clients on compliance with federal and state employment laws.
Darren has a particular focus in higher education, and he serves as co-chair of Littler’s Higher Education Industry Group. Darren’s higher education experience includes conducting investigations into sexual harassment and sexual misconduct under Title IX.
Darren also represents institutions and related individuals in employment and Title IX litigation, and he serves as an independent Title IX hearing officer in university appeal hearings. In addition, Darren represents higher education clients in enforcement matters brought by the Department of Education Office of Civil Rights and other federal agencies.
Darren is board certified in labor and employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Prior to his return to private practice, Darren served an assistant attorney general in the General Litigation Division of the Office of the Attorney General of Texas, where he defended state agencies and universities in employment litigation and class actions.
Before coming to Texas, Darren was a senior associate in New York City, where his practice focused on securities litigation, internal investigations, and business disputes in the accounting and financial services industries.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2000
- B.S., University of Kentucky, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Professional & Community Affiliations :
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys (Editorial Board for NACUA Notes)
- Member, Texas Council of School Law Attorneys, Texas Association of School Boards
- Member, 2018 Employment Law CLE Planning Committee, Texas State Bar
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, Austin Bar Association
Rate : $$$