David H. Sweeney experience spans the full natural resource value chain, from exploration, production, processing and infrastructure, to monetization. David has advised on mergers and acquisitions with an aggregate value of more than $65 billion, energy finance transactions with an aggregate value of more than $3 billionand operational matters in more than 30 countries. His work includes:
- Gathering, transportation, processing, production handling, and similar midstream and downstream agreements.
- Joint development agreements
- Farmouts, farmins and other joint ventures and participation agreements
- Joint and unit operating agreements
- Work includes mergers and acquisitions, project development and finance, service agreement suites and risk allocation schematics, procurement and anticorruption compliance matters.
- Advises clients on oil and gas, coal, and other natural resource and infrastructure transactions.
- Represented Gulfport Energy Corporation in its $1.85 billion acquisition of SCOOP exploration and production assets from Vitruvian Exploration.
- Advised Diamondback Energy Inc. in connection with its $9.2 billion all-stock merger with Energen Corporation.
- Advised Diamondback Energy Inc. in connection with its $620 million “drillco” transaction with an affiliate of The Carlyle Group.
- Advised Stone Energy Corporation in its $2.5 billion merger with Talos Energy Corporation.
- Represented DEA Deutsche Erodel AG in its acquisition of Sierra Oil and Gas for more than $500 million, including the Zama discovery and six exploration and appraisal blocks, offshore Mexico.
- Represented EOG Resources in its $400 million “drillco” transaction with an affiliate of The Carlyle Group.
- Represented Kinder Morgan in its $38 billion merger with El Paso Corporation.
- Represented Kinder Morgan in the $7.15 billion sale of an exploration and production business unit of El Paso Corporation, including offshore Brazilian assets; concessions in Egypt’s Western Desert; and assets in the Eagle Ford Shale, Permian Basin, Haynesville Shale, Black Warrior Basin, Uintah Basin, Raton Basin, Powder River Basin and Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented Apache Corporation in the $7 billion acquisition of exploration and production assets in Canada (Alberta and British Columbia), Texas and Egypt from BP.
Operating Agreements, Unitizations, and Infrastructure:
- Represented a major, integrated energy company in multiple joint operating agreements governing deepwater operations, offshore Ivory Coast, Ghana and Sierra Leone.
- Advised a major, integrated energy company in connection with an operating agreement and cost-sharing arrangements relating to a Gulf of Mexico floating production storage and offloading unit and related production systems.
- Represented the Municipality of Anchorage in the negotiation of a unit operating agreement covering a large Cook Inlet gas unit.
- Represented an independent exploration and production company in connection with a North Sea unitization.
- Represented an independent exploration and production company in a pipe-within-a-pipe joint venture on Mineral Leasing Act Lands in Colorado.
- Advised Otto Energy Ltd. in connection with multiple shallow-water Gulf of Mexico operating agreements.
- Advised Doyon Ltd. in multiple joint operating agreements covering North Slope Alaska assets.
- Represented a U.S. independent exploration and production company in model form operated and nonoperated joint operating agreements for unconventional resource development.
- Represented multiple major, integrated energy companies in the negotiation of more than 50 deepwater Gulf of Mexico operating agreements.
Service and Supply Sector Projects:
- Advised a national oil company in connection with ITT model form offshore drilling and service agreements, tender and procurement procedures, and training modules in respect of an offshore drilling campaign.
- Advised a major, integrated, multinational energy company in connection with a deepwater drilling services agreement for offshore projects in West Africa and Eastern Europe.
- Advised a major, integrated, multinational energy company in connection with a rig-sharing agreement for deepwater operations, offshore West Africa.
- Member, Farmout Agreement Revision Committee, Service Agreement and Drilling Contract Committee, Area of Mutual Interest Agreement Committee, Unitization & Unit Operating Agreement Committee, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
- Chair, Training Modules Task Force; Vice-Chair, Academic Outreach Committee; Member, Executive Committee, Advisory Board, Institute for Energy Law.
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Oil and Gas Section.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts in History, Yale University, cum laude, 2002
Rate : $$$