Grant Hanessian serves as chair of the Firm’s International Arbitration Group in North America. He chaired the Litigation Department of the Firm’s New York office from 2003 to 2012. Mr. Hanessian is the US member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris, chairman of the Arbitration Committee of the US Council for International Business, and a member of the ICC’s Commission on Arbitration, and its Task Forces on Arbitration Involving States or State Entities and on Financial Institutions and International Arbitration.
He is vice president (for US) of the London Court of Arbitration’s North American Users’ Council and a member of the American Arbitration Association—International Centre for Dispute Resolution’s International Advisory Committee and its Advisory Committee on Brazil, the Singapore International Arbitration Centre’s Users Council, the International Arbitration Club of New York, the Arbitration Committee of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, the New York City Bar Association’s Committee on International Commercial Disputes and Club Español del Arbitraje, and is a founding board member of the New York International Arbitration Center.
Mr. Hanessian is editor of ICDR Awards and Commentaries, Vol I (Juris Pub., 2012) and Vol II (forthcoming Juris Pub. 2018), International Arbitration Checklists (Juris Pub., 3rd ed., 2016), Gulf War Claims Reporter (ILI/Kluwer, 1998),Baker McKenzie’s International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter, and Baker McKenzie’s International Arbitration Yearbook. He has authored more than 50 articles and book chapters and spoken at conferences and universities worldwide on international dispute resolution topics.
Mr. Hanessian has more than 30 years of experience as counsel and arbitrator in disputes concerning contract, investment treaty, energy, construction, commodities, financial services, insurance, intellectual property and other matters before virtually all of the world’s major arbitration institutions.
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (1985)
- New York University (J.D.) (1980)
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A.) (1975)
Admissions : New York~United States (1986)
Representative Legal Matters:
- Representing investors and states in arbitrations concerning claims under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties.
- Representing an international oil & gas company in contract dispute a downstream R&D partner in Asia.
- Representing the US affiliate of a Spanish media company in dispute concerning minority shareholder buyout.
- Representing a US company in Panama arbitration concerning contractual disputes with South American parties.
- Representing a Taiwanese railway company in a Singapore arbitration regarding a contract to provide trains for high-speed railway in Taiwan.
Rate : $$$