Attorney James S. Harkness’ practice areas include commercial and business litigation, class actions, federal banking regulation disputes, manufacturing and distributor/subcontractor disputes, trade secret litigation, non-competition litigation, Uniform Commercial Code litigation, military contractor disputes, telecommunications, construction litigation, and employment law, at both the state and federal levels. Jim has participated in jury trials and conducted numerous bench trials, arbitrations, and mediations in state and federal court to obtain favorable judgments and directed verdicts.
His achievements include dismissal of claims against large corporate entities in the Illinois Supreme Court, dismissals and summary judgment rulings of all claims against large commercial clients in state and federal courts, enforcing copyright entitlements in federal court, obtaining $900,000.00 judgment at trial, on counterclaim, with dismissal of all claims against venture capital client in federal court, and dismissal of all claims in class action against a billion dollar business, and the successful defense of a manufacturer at trial.
He is also a certified arbitrator in DuPage County, Illinois, as well as serving in numerous positions as Chairman of DuPage County Bar Association Committees, and as a Director on the Board, as Section Council on the state-wide Illinois Bar Association, and was an active, invited member of the American Inns of Courts, DuPage Chapter.
- Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana, 1996
- Valparaiso University, 1993
- B.A., Political Science and Philosophy
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Business Law Committee Chairman, 2013-present
- Director, 2014-present
- Planning Committee Board Member, 2013-present
- Downers Grove Township Republican Organization
- Elected Committeeman, Precinct 50, 2014-present
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- Section Council for Commercial Banking, Collections & Bankruptcy Law, 2011-present
- ISBA Civil Practice Law Section Council, 2011-present
Rate : $$$