When Texas physicians, dentists, psychologists and similar healthcare professionals face licensing and other high-stakes, career-threatening issues, they turn to James K. McClendon to set things right. Jim helps clients navigate regulatory and licensing hurdles, and return to focusing on their professional work.
He represents clients, primarily doctors, before professional boards when faced with complaints, in contested reviews when hospital privileges are at stake and in regulatory matters such as Medicare billing disputes.
In instances where allegations involve alleged criminal misconduct, Jim calls on Husch Blackwell colleagues to help present the right legal response.
Jim, who began his career as a trial lawyer, also advises professionals on litigation involving disputes over non-compete agreements, physician group breakups, management agreements and other issues. With his undergraduate degree in finance, Jim always keeps economics in mind in finding creative ways to problem solve for his clients.
- Represented physician groups in disputes with management companies, software providers and insurance payors.
- Advised physician groups and physician-management companies on disputes with third-party administrators.
- Counseled businesses and individuals on resolving contractual disputes.
- Served as lead trial and appellate counsel in Board of Medical Examiners vs. Dunn, a case involving a doctor’s attempt to restore his medical license. Doctor’s license reinstated despite persistent efforts to the contrary by medical board.
- Represented about 600 physicians and 50 dentists in contested matters before respective licensing boards. Consistently obtained superior results for clients, both at informal settlement conference level and through administrative appeals to state administrative hearings.
Community Leadership :
- Creek at Riverbend Homeowner’s Association, President, 2001-2003
- Westlake Pop Warner, President, 2008-2010
- J.D., University of Texas at Austin School of Law
- B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin
Admissions : Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Department of State Health Services, Medical Disclosure Panel, 2010-present
- Travis County IOLTA Committee, Chairman, 1999-2001
Rate : $$$$