Jeffrey R. Baxter is an experienced commercial litigator whose diversity of clients reflect his wide-ranging talents. Financial institutions, healthcare and insurance providers, wireless telecommunications providers, trustees and other fiduciaries – Jeff has counseled individuals as well as public and private companies in a multitude of industries.
His commitment to defending the best interests of every client extends to lawyers and law firms, whom he represents in the defense of legal malpractice claims; he also advises and counsels lawyers concerning allegations of malpractice, ethical violations and breaches of duty.
Additionally, he represents clients in connection with issues regarding the protection of intellectual property rights, including trademark infringement. Jeff has handled every aspect of the litigation and appeal process.
He has a background in cases involving consumer and contract disputes, business torts, fiduciary duty, privacy disputes, trade secrets, telecommunications, false advertising, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, law firm defense, all types of real estate litigation, Georgia’s Open Records Act, and other statutory regulations.
As part of his practice, Jeff also has substantial experience in the complex issues involved with electronically stored information. He advises clients on how to efficiently navigate their e-discovery obligations, including matters related to electronic document preservation, collection, processing, review and production.
- Successfully defended insurance company against multi-million dollar fidelity bond claim asserted by credit union and obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented former trustee and managing partner of an AmLaw 100 law firm in defense of multi-million dollar claims by the trust beneficiaries for breach of fiduciary duty, legal malpractice and fraud, among others.
- Successfully represented major law firm in seeking summary judgment and in defense of claims of legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud in connection with a condominium development project on St. Simons Island. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Successfully defended leading health care insurer in administrative litigation over application of “any willing provider” provision to HMO networks, earning reversal of Georgia Department of Insurance ruling.
- Represented former independent directors of financial institution against negligence and breach of fiduciary duty claims by the FDIC resulting from 2009 community banking crisis.
- Successfully represented major national bank in multiple FINRA arbitrations against former brokers to recover on promissory notes.
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Tech Bar Association
- J.D., Georgia State University College of Law, 2005, magna cum laude; Law Review, Member; Atlanta Law School Foundation Fellow
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1993; Certificate in Composite Engineering
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
Rate : $$$$