John Murphy joined Baker McKenzie in 1988. He advises and represents clients in connection with domestic and international business disputes involving corporate fiduciaries. John regularly appears on behalf of US-based and non US-based businesses in federal and state trial and appellate courts throughout the United States, as well as in domestic and international arbitrations.
He manages cross-border litigation involving investigations and simultaneous legal proceedings in multiple jurisdictions. John is also a frequent writer and presenter on business disputes and related topics.
John’s practice is focused on complex business disputes, primarily in the areas of unfair competition, business divorce, partnership and joint venture disputes, shareholder derivative claims, fiduciary wrongdoing, post acquisition disputes, trade secret theft, employee raiding, distributor disputes, intellectual property infringement, fraud and related business torts.
He has particularly broad experience conducting internal investigations and in litigation involving requests for extraordinary equitable remedies such as injunctive relief.
- University of Illinois College of Law (JD) (1988)
- University of Notre Dame (BA Honors) (1985)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2015)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States (2002)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1994)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1989)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Illinois State Bar Association – Member
- American Bar Association – Member
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association – Member
- Chicago Bar Association – Member
Representative Legal Matters:
- Obtained an order on appeal affirming judgment entered after trial in Delaware Court of Chancery in favor of five public pension funds, declaring valid the removal of general partner of USD 70 million real estate limited partnership.
- Obtained an order on appeal reversing an USD 11 million-jury verdict and entering judgment in favor of founders of electronic stock exchange Archipelago on fraud claim brought by former business associate.
- Obtained the dismissal of shareholder derivative claims against a global pharmaceutical company and defeated a motion to enjoin acquisition.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction on behalf of a publicly-traded aerospace and defense firm, enjoining the sale, transfer or encumbrance of stolen aircraft engine.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a limited liability company for aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duties and corporate usurpation.
Rate : $$$