John B. Macdonald focuses on complex bankruptcy and restructuring matters as part of a broad commercial litigation practice. John represents major financial institutions in loan workouts, restructurings, and foreclosures.
He has a distinguished history of service to the legal community and has served in numerous leadership positions, including as chair of The Florida Bar’s Bankruptcy/UCC Committee, as a member of the Executive Council of The Florida Bar’s Business Law Section, and as the president and chairman of the Jacksonville Bankruptcy Bar Association.
John is also a leader in the community serving on the national board of directors of Lowe Syndrome Association, as president and on the board of directors of North Florida School of Special Education, and is a past president of the Northern Florida Chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Notable Work :
- Debt Restructuring: Represented creditors’ committee as local counsel in a dispute involving a major grocery chain with $985 million in unsecured debt. Assisted in the formulation and confirmation of the debt reorganization.
- Charitable Trust: Representing state attorney general as lead trial counsel in ongoing efforts to enforce the provisions of a $5 billion charitable trust to benefit healthcare for children and the elderly.
- Auto Loan Ponzi Scheme: Represented creditors’ committee in securing appropriate restitution after debtor engaged in a $23 million Ponzi scheme in the subprime auto loan industry.
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1976, Phi Delta Phi, Magister; University of Florida Law Review, Board of Editors
- B.A., University of Virginia, 1971
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Bankruptcy/UCC Committee, Member, Past Vice Chairman, 1998-2000, Past Chairman, 2000-2001; Pro Bono Committee, Member 2011-present, Chairman 2015-2016; Judicial Liaison Committee, Past Co-Chairman, 2001-2002; Business Law Section, Executive Council, Member 2002-2012, 2015; Fourth Judicial Circuit, Grievance Committee “C”, Past Chairman, 1987-1989; Fourth Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Committee, Member 2014-present, Jacksonville Pro Bono Roundtable, Chair, 2014-present
- Jacksonville Bankruptcy Bar Association, Past President, 1991-1993; Past Chairman, 1993
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Section, Past Chairman, 1990-1991
- Lowe Syndrome Association, National Board of Directors, Member
- North Florida School of Special Education, Board of Directors
- Northern Florida Chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, President, 2000-2003
Rate : $$$$