Kendi E. Ozmon is a trusted advisor to tax-exempt organizations, including colleges, universities, cultural institutions, health care organizations, and corporate and family foundations.
She has obtained tax-exempt status and IRS rulings for numerous clients and provides practical guidance on a wide range of issues these organizations encounter, from day-to-day questions about grant making, filing requirements, and charitable giving to highly sensitive matters involving conflicts of interest, corporate governance, executive compensation, and IRS audits.
Kendi is often lead tax counsel in transactions that involve non-profit organizations, including affiliations, mergers, asset acquisitions and dissolutions, notably advising on tax exemption issues. She is also active in pro bono matters and is a member of the firm’s Pro BonoCommittee.
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2001
- EdM, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 1994; Pforzheimer Fellow
- AB, magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1992; Phi Beta Kappa
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES :
- Trustee, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
- Steering Committee, Boston Bar Association Tax-Exempt Organizations Section
- Working Group Member, Boston Bar Association Chapter 180 Taskforce
- Former Co-chair, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Nonprofit Law Conference
- Tax counsel for multiple tax-exempt health care systems in affiliation transactions, with both non-profit and for-profit parties
- Securing abatements of multi-million dollars in penalties and interest from IRS and successfully concluding several IRS audits of universities and their affiliates with no taxes or penalties assessed
- Forming and securing tax-exempt status for new parent entities in affiliations and reorganizations of health care systems
- Counseling staff of grant-making organizations on navigating private foundation tax rules, including how these rules relate to international grants, advocacy activities and transactions with foundation donors
- Providing informed review of drafts of publicly-disclosed IRS and state tax and information filings for non-profit organizations, with special emphasis on the Form 990
- Collaborating with charities and their donors to structure venture philanthropy and other giving arrangements.
Rate : $$$