Matthew C. Holohan has extensive experience representing technology companies through all stages of litigation, including pre-litigation analysis, trials and appeals. Mr. Holohan has appeared at trial in U.S. district courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission, and has argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
His technical expertise includes semiconductor processing, digital signal processing, digital video, wireless communications, and cellular technology.
Mr. Holohan regularly advises clients on intellectual property issues and related business matters outside of litigation, including patent licensing, opinion letters, and brand management.
He has represented clients of all sizes, from start-ups to global corporations.
Mr. Holohan is a frequent volunteer with the Metro Volunteer Lawyers Family Court program, assisting low-income clients with divorce and child custody proceedings.
Prior to joining Kilpatrick Townsend, Mr. Holohan was an associate with a national law firm in Silicon Valley.
- Represented LSI Corporation and Agere Systems LLC in an investigation involving semiconductor processing. Mr. Holohan participated in trial against the remaining respondents after favorably settling with the majority of the other parties.
- Defended Levi Strauss & Co. in a patent infringement and importation investigation, related to laser-fading of denim, against 17 global clothing brands. Aggressively developed key defense, positioning Levi Strauss & Co. for favorable pre-trial settlement.
- In re Certain Laser Abraded Denim Garments, ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-930.
- Represented Cox Communications, Inc. and CSC Holdings, LLC in a patent infringement suit in the District of Delaware involving modem technology. The plaintiff alleged that providing voice-over-IP telephone calls infringed its patented technology and sued an entire industry for infringement of this patent. The dispute was resolved favorably. (Judge Stark). GTZM Tech. Ventures LTD v. Atlantic Broadband Fin., LLC et al., No. 1:11-cv-00790 (D. Del. filed Sept. 8, 2011).
- The firm represented complainants LSI Corporation and Agere Systems LLC in this investigation involving video decoder and wireless local area network patents. Following the evidentiary hearing, the ALJ determined that an exclusion order was appropriate.
- In re Certain Audiovisual Components and Products Containing the Same, ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-837. (ITC investigation commenced 2011).
- Represented Agere Systems Inc., a semiconductor manufacturer, in a patent infringement action related to licensing for semiconductor technology. Case settled favorably.
- Agere Sys. Inc. v. Samsung Elecs. Co., Ltd, No. 06-0185 (E.D. Tex. filed May 2, 2006).
- Defending Broadcom and its six downstream customers Technicolor, HTC, Comcast, Arista, NETGEAR, and ARRIS in patent infringement and importation investigation brought against them by Tessera Technologies, related to semiconductor chip packaging technology. Trial set for March 2017 before Administrative Law Judge Dee Sandra Lord, with related actions in D. Delaware and Europe.
- In re Certain Semiconductor Devices, U.S. ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-1010
- Represent defendant manufacturer and seller of optical lenses against claims of patent infringement. Obtained summary judgment on the vast majority of the plaintiff’s claims, and the case currently is on appeal.
- Largan Precision Co. v. Genius Electronic Optical Co., 13-cv-02502 (N.D. Cal. filed June 4, 2013).
- University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D. (2005) Order of the Coif
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., Physics (2001)
- Colorado (2009)
- California (2005)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (2014)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2009)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (2018)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California – Honorable Marilyn Hall Patel
Rate : $$$$