Michael A.S. Newman is a litigator with a broad practice that includes employment litigation, insurance coverage disputes, bad faith liability actions, insurance regulatory matters, trade secret, and contractual disputes.
Mr. Newman advises and defends insurance clients in matters involving the alleged bad faith denial of benefits on life, disability, long-term care, workers compensation and health insurance policies.
He has also worked on behalf of insurance clients in regulatory matters involving the California Department of Insurance. Mr. Newman also counsels and represents business clients (both in and out of the insurance industry) in actions alleging violation of employment laws and in matters involving alleged misappropriation of trade secrets.
Mr. Newman joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP. Mr. Newman joined Barger & Wolen in 2001.
Professional Affiliations :
- The State Bar of California, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Representative Matters :
- Primary writer of the briefing at the trial court level and on appeal establishing on summary judgment that a district manager of insurer defendants, responsible for recruiting and training insurance agents, was properly classified as an independent contractor, and was not an employee.
- Established on summary judgment that insurer defendants had properly classified recruiter and trainer of insurance agents as independent contractor.
- Lead counsel in arbitration, securing ruling that defendant had not breached its contract in terminating retail salespersons and did not owe them additional commissions.
- Established on summary judgment that life insurance had been properly rescinded by insurer, based on insured misrepresentations regarding income and net worth; affirmed by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 1999
- B.A., University of California at Berkeley, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Rate : $$$$