Monika Scott is an experienced litigator with a focus in the fields of financial services and consumer law, who regularly represents mortgage servicers, investors, banks and government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) in state, federal and appellate courts.
Monika is an attorney in the financial services litigation and consumer financial services practice groups. She advises banking institutions and large national mortgage servicing companies in individual cases and class actions involving federal claims arising under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and state law claims for breach of contract, fraud/misrepresentation, promissory estoppel, negligence, wrongful foreclosure and wrongful eviction.
Monika also advises clients in connection with responding to inquiries from state and federal agencies, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Monika has significant experience in all phases of the litigation process, from early claims analysis and dispute resolution through to summary judgment, trial and appeal.
Monika’s pragmatic approach allows her to effectively communicate with clients and prepare for all aspects of litigation. She has particular experience and skill in the resolution of cases prior to trial through dispositive motions. Monika also employs alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including mediation and arbitration, in order to represent her clients’ interests in a cost-effective matter.
While in law school, she received several awards for oral advocacy and moot court competition. Monika provides analysis and commentary on legal and business developments in the consumer financial services industry through the Consumer Financial Services Law Monitor blog.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a large mortgage servicer in relation to consumer complaints to the CFPB and to state regulatory agencies and attorneys general.
- Successfully argued motions to dismiss on behalf of one of the nation’s largest credit reporting agencies.
- Represented national banking institutions and mortgage servicing companies in Chapters 7 and 11 bankruptcy cases and adversary proceedings.
- Represented a large national title insurer regarding claims and coverage issues, lien priority disputes, title reformation actions, and boundary and property line disputes.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- TiE Global Entrepreneurship Organization (Member, 2014-present)
- Georgia Association of Women Lawyers (Member, 2018-Present)
- South Asian Bar Association of Georgia (Board Member, 2014-2017; President, 2016-2017)
- Bleckley Inn of Court (Barrister, 2012-2013)
Professional Experience :
- Advisor, Employee Benefits Security Administration, U.S. Department of Labor, 2005-2007
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Carol Hunstein, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia, 2006
- Georgia State University College of Law, J.D., 2007
- Emory University, B.A., 2002, Political Science
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Georgia State Courts
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Rate : $$$