Nawi Ukabiala is a litigation associate based in the New York office. His practice focuses on international dispute resolution and public international law. Nawi joined Debevoise in 2015. He served as the legal officer to Judge Julia Sebutinde at the International Court of Justice and judicial law clerk to Justice Edward Mansfield at the Supreme Court of the State of Iowa. He also previously worked as a legal consultant in the Operations Policy Group of the World Bank’s legal department.
Nawi obtained his LL.M. from NYU in 2014 where he was a transitional justice scholar and international finance and development fellow and his J.D. from Drake University in 2011 summa cum laude and Order of the Coif. He obtained his B.A. from George Washington University.
Nawi has broad and notable experience in international law. He has published several articles and regularly presents at conferences on pertinent issues in the field.
- The Republic of Iraq in two ICSID proceedings related to the telecommunications sector.
- The Government of Grenada in an ICSID arbitration arising out of reforms to the electricity sector.
- Claimant Tethyan Copper Company (jointly owned by Barrick Gold and Antofagasta Minerals) in an ICSID arbitration against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and an ICC arbitration against the Pakistani province of Balochistan in disputes regarding a copper and gold mining project in the west of Pakistan.
- New York University School of Law, 2014, LL.M.
- Drake University Law School, 2011, J.D.
- George Washington University, 2006, B.A.
- New York
Rate : $$$$