As a member of the firm’s employee benefits and executive compensation practice, Nida Javaid works with clients on a mix of regulatory and transactional matters related to employee benefits law.
Nida helps private, public and not-for-profit employers with the implementation, design and administration of tax-qualified retirement plans, nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements, and health and welfare plans.
Before transitioning to employee benefits law, Nida worked as an associate attorney at a litigation firm in New York, managing an extensive caseload and providing counsel at all stages of civil litigation.
Over the course of her legal studies, Nida chose to pursue coursework in international law and spent her summers abroad, both at the Special Tribunal for Lebanon in The Hague, Netherlands, and at a boutique international law firm in Athens, Greece.
Additionally, Nida regularly conducts legal and regulatory review of published guidance from the IRS, the U.S. Treasury Department and the U.S. Department of Labor, among other agencies, and prepares related marketing and corporate communications for clients.
In her pro bono work, Nida assists a local nonprofit in complying with state charitable solicitation requirements, specifically reporting and disclosure requirements for online contributions from out of state.
Representative Matters :
- Developed corporate, plan governance and fiduciary compliance strategies for public and private employers, including preparation of investment policies and committee charters.
- Advised clients on the application of ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code to a variety of plan designs, including cutback, forfeiture and suspension of benefit issues.
- Drafted plan documents and participant communications for tax-qualified plans, including defined benefit and cash balance plans and all forms of defined contribution plans (including 401(k) plans and Roth accounts).
- Performed internal compliance audits of pension and 401(k) plans in connection with large retirement plan mergers.
- Assisted clients with correcting plan administration errors through the Internal Revenue Service voluntary correction program for tax-qualified retirement plans.
Professional and Community Involvement : Member, Taxation Section, American Bar Association
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2015, Certificate, Employee Benefits Law
- Elizabeth Haub School of Law at Pace University, J.D., cum laude, 2012
- Syracuse University, B.A., summa cum laude, with honors, 2009
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York
Rate : $$$