Patrick J. Casey is the Managing Partner of the firm’s Denver office. He also serves as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. A seasoned trial attorney, Patrick represents owners, builder/vendors, developers, declarants, general contractors and design professionals in all aspects of construction projects.
His experience extends from the simple to the most complex multi-party disputes. He has been instrumental in early disposition of cases through motions and effective settlement negotiations, saving clients significant legal expenses.
Through negotiations, mediation, trial and arbitration, Patrick has obtained favorable results to resolve claims and disputes throughout Colorado, and in New Mexico, North Dakota, and Wyoming.
Patrick is also regularly involved in the drafting and negotiating of construction agreements and architectural and engineering contracts. Among his clients are several of the nation’s largest homebuilders, as well as developers, general contractors, regional and custom builders, and REITs and capital providers in the senior living and housing arena.
As a result of his experience in litigating some of Colorado’s largest residential construction defect lawsuits, Patrick is frequently sought out by construction professionals for advice on risk avoidance, insurance coverage and risk management strategies.
He has a wide range of experience with claims under general liability policies, professional liability policies, commercial property policies, builders’ risk policies and excess insurance. He has successfully represented clients in negotiating and resolving multimillion-dollar general liability, property damage and builder’s risk claims.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a developer, declarant, general contractor and builder/vendor in a construction and design defect arbitration stemming from a 14-building townhome project. Claims involved grading, drainage, firewalls, building envelope and retaining walls. Following a two-week arbitration, obtained a favorable award that was less than one third of the demand.
- Represented an apartment developer in multi-million dollar builder’s risk claim involving a peril stemming from the construction retaining walls and favorably resolved matter with the insurance carrier.
- Represented a property owner in eight-figure property damage claim triggered by soil movement on a foundation system of an 80,000 square foot building and successfully resolved matter with the insurance carrier.
- Represented a builder/vendor in negotiations with a general liability insurance carrier of a $30 Million settlement of a construction defect lawsuit.
- Gonzaga University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1993)
- University of Colorado–Boulder(B.A., 1989)
- American Bar Association, Construction Section
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
BAR ADMISSIONS : Colorado
Rate : $$$