Zhao Liu is an experienced commercial litigator, focusing his practice on antitrust and healthcare matters. His antitrust experience includes defending U.S. and international clients in government investigations, price-fixing class actions, and merger challenges brought by the government. He also represents healthcare clients in False Claims Act litigation and payer-provider litigation and arbitration.
An engineer by training, Zhao has a solid background in electronics, computer science, and mathematics, which makes him well-equipped to work with expert witnesses. He also brings unique perspectives to complex litigation matters, particularly those involving science and technology.
Zhao has extensive experience drafting and responding to motions and discovery requests, managing document production and electronic discovery, conducting witness interviews, and preparing lay and expert witnesses for depositions and trial testimony.
Zhao was the principal drafter of a motion to dismiss that was granted by a federal district court in a multi-million dollar qui tam case under the False Claims Act relating to alleged inflated premiums resulting from inaccurate risk-adjustment submissions under the Medicare Advantage program.
He also worked with the experts in In Re: Optical Disk Drive Products Antitrust Litigation, a multidistrict cartel class action where the plaintiffs sought $3 billion in treble damages—the O’Melveny team helped Samsung secure a win on summary judgment.
Most recently, Zhao was one of the core members of the trial team that defended AT&T and Time Warner in the biggest merger case in decades, defeating an attempt by the Department of Justice to block the $85.4 billion merger between the telecom and media giants.
Zhao also advises public companies, private equity firms, and investment advisers on regulatory and compliance obligations under federal and international securities laws.
- Antitrust and Competition:
- Represent multinational electronics company to provide regulatory and litigation-related antitrust advice
- Represented AT&T and Time Warner in litigation against the Department of Justice in connection with their merger
- Represented an international company in multidistrict price fixing class action
- Represented Sysco Corporation in litigation against the Federal Trade Commission in its proposed merger with US Foods
- Represented US Airways in litigation against the Department of Justice in its merger with American Airlines
- Defend national managed care organizations in qui tam False Claims Act lawsuits
- Represent a managed care payer in an arbitration in connection with termination of provider participation agreement
- Represent a managed care payer to provide advice related to provider disputes
- Represent managed care payers to provide regulatory advice in contract negotiations with providers
- General Commercial Litigation:
- Represent a company in a self-regulatory action before the National Advertising Division
- Represent a government-sponsored enterprise in a multidistrict shareholder suit
- Represented a Chinese corporation to provide advice related to potential product liability litigation in the US
- Defended a government-sponsored enterprise in securities class actions
- Securities Regulation:
- Advise a private equity firm on compliance with US and international securities laws and regulations
- Advised a foreign-incorporated investment adviser on compliance with the Investment Advisers Act of 1940
- Represented underwriters in obtaining clearance from the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority for initial public offerings
- District of Columbia
- George Washington University, J.D.: Highest Honors; Order of the Coif; Online Articles Editor, The George Washington Law Review
- City University of Hong Kong, B.Eng, Electronic and Communications Engineering: First Class Honors
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law
Rate : $$$$