Paul A. Williams focuses his trial practice on complex litigation and trial practice management, partnering with clients to create relationships that achieve better legal outcomes at an exceptional value.
He believes win-win partnerships with clients are built on collaboration, innovation, strategic action and trust—all of which ultimately bring better results and the metrics to prove them.
He has received national recognition for his innovative use of alternative financial arrangements and strategic litigation management techniques to curtail legal spend and effectively manage otherwise unpredictable litigation.
His success in managing entire dockets of litigation using alternative fee arrangements have resulted in his being tapped as a featured speaker, panelist, author and expert source by organizations that include InsideCounsel, Corporate Counsel, The American Lawyer, the American Bar Association, the Association of Corporate Counsel, The Ark Law Group, the Clear Law Institute and LexisNexis.
Paul has been named as an Acritas Star, a Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting, and as a Litigation Trailblazer by National Law Journal for his client-first focused relationships and his leadership in alternative fee arrangements.
- Since 2004, Paul has managed the firm’s role as Johnson Controls’ (formerly Tyco International) National Counsel for Insured Litigation, leading a team of Shook lawyers in a flat-fee partnership with the company. The American Lawyer noted his representation of Tyco International in its feature story on Shook as the winner of the 2012 Product Liability Litigation Department of the Year Award.
- The American Bar Association Journal also featured the program in an article titled “Facing the Alternative,” which credited the trusting relationship between Tyco and Shook for much of the success of the arrangement.
- In addition, the Association of Corporate Counsel recognized Shook and Tyco as inaugural ACC Value Champions for “effectively driving value by cutting spending, improving predictability, and achieving better legal outcomes.”
- Since 2011, Paul also has managed Shook’s role as National Product Liability Counsel for The HEICO Companies, LLC, a $2 billion privately held company with more than 40 separate operating entities in diverse economic sectors.
- In 2013, HEICO developed a legal services efficiency model to evaluate the value and true cost of legal services provided by its law firms. HEICO identified Paul and the Shook team as its strongest firm, achieving a 92.8 percent efficiency rating.
- In 2015, the Association of Corporate Counsel recognized HEICO and Shook as ACC Value Champions for their work to improve legal outcomes, reduce costs, decrease case variations, and improve the efficiency and value of legal services.
- Paul and his team continue to innovate the practice of law to adapt strategic litigation management and legal project management principles to add value to other nationwide portfolio clients, providing top legal services in an aligned and transparent way to deliver on expectations for better results at a better value.
- J.D., University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law, 1995
- B.A., Park College, 1991
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Propane Gas Defense Association
- Marian Hope Center
Rate : $$$$