Richard L. Epling combines acute commercial and practical judgment with a deep understanding of both corporate governance and of energy, health care and other highly regulated industries.
Richard represents creditors’ and bondholders’ committees, bank groups, debtors-in-possession and institutional lenders in Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization proceedings and out-of-court restructurings.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Advised Long Term Capital Management in its restructuring of nearly $1.5 trillion of notional value derivatives and credit facilities during the Russian debt crisis.
- Represented Congoleum Corp. as debtor-in-possession in its Chapter 11 asbestos bankruptcy.
- Counsel to Viação Aérea Rio-Grandense (Varig S.A.), then the largest Latin American airline, in several comprehensive international debt restructurings.
- Represented Allegheny General Hospital (Pittsburgh) in restructuring $750 million of tax exempt and other debt and in the creation of the West Penn Allegheny Health System.
- Counsel to the Special Committee of Ion Communications Inc. (formerly Paxton Communications) in its restructuring and recapitalization with NBC Universal and Citadel Limited Partnership.
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York Bankruptcy Committee (1989-1991)
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- National Bankruptcy Conference, Associate Conferee 1985-1993; Chapter 11 Committee Reporter for National Bankruptcy Conference’s Code Review Project (May 1, 1994)
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1976
- B.A., Duke University, 1973
- Law clerk to Hon. Charles L. Levin, Associate Justice, Michigan Supreme Court, 1976-1977
ADMISSIONS : Illinois, New York, Arizona
- Supreme Court, Appellate Division, First Department; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit; U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
CLERKSHIPS : Law clerk to Hon. Charles L. Levin, Associate Justice, Michigan Supreme Court.
Rate : $$$