Pillsbury Construction Counseling & Dispute Resolution partner Robert B. Thum has been recognized in Chambers USA for 12 consecutive years as an authority on construction law. Rob has practiced construction and engineering law since 1974, providing contract advice, troubled project counseling and claims litigation/arbitration services to owners, general contractors and trade subcontractors.
He has worked on major infrastructure projects involving power plants, airports, highways, bridges, refineries, schools and high-rises, and litigated two of the largest hospital disputes in California. Experienced in ADR, he has served for many years as an arbitrator on the AAA’s National Construction, Large Complex Disputes and Megaprojects panels.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Represented The Broad Collection art museum and MATT Construction in a $19.8 million lawsuit against the German subcontractor hired to build the museum’s distinctive exterior design features.
- Drafting and negotiating design and construction documents for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ new Motion Picture Museum, located at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
- Representing the Regents of the University of California in disputes arising from the construction of the Westwood Replacement Hospital on the UCLA campus and renovation of UCLA’s Santa Monica/Orthopedic Hospital.
- American College of Construction Lawyers, Fellow
- American Arbitration Association, Member, National Construction Panel and Complex Disputes Arbitrator
- American Bar Association, Member, Forum Committee on the Construction Industry, and Public Contract Law and Litigation Sections
- California State Bar Association, Member, Construction, Real Estate and Litigation Sections
Community Service :
- Board of Directors, Town Hall Theater, 2000 – 2003
- President, Board of Directors, Lafayette Arts & Science Foundation, 1997 – 1999
- President, Board of Directors, Piedmont Children’s Choirs, 1993 – 1996
- President, Berkeley Rowing Club, 1976 – 1986
- J.D., Cornell Law School, 1970
- A.B., Princeton University, 1967
ADMISSIONS : California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th and Federal Circuits
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
Rate : $$$$