Sean McLaughlin’s service as Chief of Staff for two of Congress’ most high-profile committees—the House Committee on the Judiciary and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee—gives him substantive, first-hand knowledge of the most proactive ways to handle issues facing clients brought before these committees.
Using his broad knowledge, Sean guides clients through the labyrinthine legislative process on Capitol Hill, helping them make sense of problems that are often perceived of as ambiguous and intractable.
His deep relationships with House leadership members and staff, committee chairs and staff directors, and Republican members of the House Committee on the Judiciary are a plus for clients who rely on him for regular insight into high-profile debates.
Having conducted congressional investigations from the inside, Sean is able to counsel clients on how to respond to them from the outside. In his role at Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, Sean provides legislative strategy, monitoring and advocacy.
He serves as a steady ally to clients, unpacking the timing surrounding bills and hearings and providing them with clarity every step of the way. Through his extensive network, Sean builds coalitions among like-minded businesses with similar legislative objectives, often going beyond the call of duty to offer his clients added value.
Prior to joining the firm, Sean served as Staff Director to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, where he managed a staff of 55 employees and a budget of $6 million annually.
Under his leadership, the committee conducted high-profile investigations of IRS political targeting, OPM data breach, US Secret Service personnel issues, EPA hazardous spills and DEA senior mismanagement.
Sean was at one time principal at the Podesta Group. There, he provided strategic advice on legislative, policy and political matters to Fortune 50, 100 and 500 companies; and trade associations and coalitions that included Google, Oracle, Wal-Mart, Enterprise, Deloitte, American Chemistry Council, National Association of Broadcasters, US Airways/American Airlines, Herbalife, Sotheby’s and Business Roundtable.
For the past 18 years, Sean has worked on and off Capitol Hill as an advisor and reformer in the political and regulatory arena of Washington.
In addition to his state bar admission, he is admitted in the United States District Court, Northern District of New York and DC.
- As Counsel to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security, played a key role in negotiating and passing legislation such as the PATRIOT Act and Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Served as the Republican Chief of Staff to the House Judiciary Committee under Ranking Member, and then Chairman, Lamar Smith (TX-21), 2007- 2010.
- Served as the Deputy Chief of Staff to the Committee under Chairman James Sensenbrenner (WI-5). Before that, as Deputy Assistant Attorney General at the US Department of Justice, 2005-2006
- JD, Western New England College School of Law, 1991
- BS, Union College, 1988
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Assistant District Attorney, Albany County, New York
- Chief of Staff and General Counsel, US House Committee on the Judiciary
- Counsel, US House Committee on the Judiciary
- Staff Director, US House Oversight and Government Reform Committee
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General, US Department of Justice
- Associate Counsel for the Honorable Thomas M. Reynolds
- Legislative Counsel for the Honorable Thomas M. Reynolds
- Legislative Director and Counsel for the Honorable Thomas M. Reynolds
- Assistant District Attorney, Rensselaer County, New York
Rate : $$$