Steven K. Mossey represents and counsels clients on a wide variety of complex commercial transactions involving intellectual property, technology, and data. His broad based practice includes technology and life science transactions as well as Digital Health transactions, in which stakeholders across the healthcare, technology, and communications industries harness the power of data and information technology to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of their products, solutions and services, create new and cutting-edge innovations, and achieve better outcomes for patients.
In addition, Mr. Mossey’s practice involves evaluating and advising on intellectual property and technology issues that arise in the conduct of day-to-day business activities as well as general corporate transactions such as mergers and acquisitions. He also advises clients on strategic aspects of intellectual property, including the worldwide procurement, defense, and enforcement of intellectual property rights.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Mossey worked at a leading international law firm in New York City, where he represented clients in all aspects of patent practice, including patent litigation in the U.S. Federal Courts and at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, due diligence for corporate acquisitions and investments, freedom-to-operate and opinion work, and patent portfolio development.
Mr. Mossey is a registered patent attorney. He holds a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell University and obtained his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2013
- Cornell University, B.S., 2008
Bar Admissions :
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
Representative Matters :
- American Airlines in an end-to-end information technology services and software development agreement for its cargo business.
- A professional sports league in connection with technology and intellectual property licenses related to the creation of a joint venture eSports league.
- A national organization representing educational programs in its consulting services agreement with a provider of services related to testing and certification programs.
- A legal services provider in connection with a SaaS agreement related to human capital management software.
- A multinational pharmaceutical company in an intellectual property licensing agreement with a physician inventor.
- Elbit Systems Ltd. in its $120 million acquisition of the assets and operations of Universal Avionics Systems.
- A multinational technology conglomerate on IP issues related to its acquisition of a company that provides an advanced Artificial Intelligence platform for conversational interfaces.
- A multinational medical device company in its acquisition of technology related to bone reconstruction and regeneration and related patent and know-how license agreements.
Pro Bono :
- Advised a nonprofit drug research and development organization on issues related to its rights under a patent license agreement with a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company.
- Negotiated a publishing agreement for a curriculum developed by a non-profit school with programs and support services for students with disabilities.
- Advised a nonprofit theater company regarding copyright issues in connection with scripting a new play.
- Negotiated a web services agreement on behalf of an international non-governmental organization that supports women’s learning initiatives.
- Advised a non-profit company on issues related to copyright ownership and fair use related to its popular podcasts and blogs.
Memberships and Affiliations : New York State Bar Association, Member
Previous Experience :
- Regularly performed due diligence for a private equity and venture capital firm that invests in commercial-stage healthcare companies
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in multi-District litigation, through appeal, and in parallel proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, on cases involving methotrexate and auto-injector technology.
- Drafted and prosecuted patent portfolios worldwide in support of commercial efforts including global licensing and enforcement programs.
Rate : $$$