Andrew Sloniewsky is a trial lawyer with a focus on complex commercial litigation. For more than 20 years, he has successfully represented clients in a wide array of business disputes in both federal and state courts nationwide. Among other matters, he handled lawsuits arising from real estate, venture capital, shipping, and manufacturing contracts, as well as disputes involving antitrust, ERISA, fraudulent conveyance, bankruptcy, securities fraud, trademark, unfair competition, and intra-corporate and intra-partnership fiduciary issues.
Andrew counsels insurance carriers in coverage litigation arising from environmental, asbestos, and property loss, and defends them against claims alleging fraudulent settlement, bodily injury, and improper claims-handling practices. He handles all aspects of the litigation process, from pre-pleading investigation through drafting of pleadings, requests for emergency injunctive relief, pretrial discovery, motions practice, trial, appellate argument, and settlement.
He also manages numerous large discovery and investigative document reviews, including in response to “second requests” issued by governmental entities in the pre-merger context. Andrew has litigated several disputes in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, considered the court with the nation’s fastest docket.
- Helped a manufacturer pursue a fraudulent transfer lawsuit that resulted in temporary injunctive relief against defendants, and ultimately a $100+ million settlement.
- Assisted in the successful defense of a corporate board against shareholder derivative claims arising from a proposed sale of the company.
- Participated in the defense of a property insurer against coverage and bad faith claims seeking damages of $60+ million, ultimately securing partial summary judgment and a favorable settlement.
- Defended liability insurers in numerous cases involving claims for bodily injury, including injuries from asbestos exposure.
- Assisted in the defense of a restaurant-tenant against claims brought by a celebrity landlord for breach of lease, resulting in an advantageous settlement.
- Helped procure a favorable settlement for a third-party health insurance administrator sued by a labor union for alleged ERISA violations.
Bar & Court Admissions:
- District of Columbia
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1991
- B.A., St. John College, 1988
Rate : $$$