Bryan H. Kelly is a member of Venable’s Tax and Wealth Planning Group. A substantial part of his practice focuses on tax considerations relating to various cross-border transactions, advising U.S.-based and non-U.S.-based multinational organizations across a number of industries, and high-net-worth individuals and families.
In his role as an international tax advisor, in addition to providing U.S. tax advice, Bryan regularly coordinates with advisors across multiple jurisdictions to manage the global design and implementation of structuring and restructuring projects.
Bryan also works with both sponsors and investors in connection with the establishment and operation of various types of investment funds, and has substantial experience working with clients across a number of industries and geographies to plan and negotiate the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and financings.
Before joining Venable, Bryan was a member of the international tax services group at Ernst & Young. Prior to his tenure there, Bryan spent nearly a decade in private practice in New York and Los Angeles, where he advised on U.S. tax matters relating to a variety of domestic and cross-border transactions.
- Advised a U.S.-based retailer in evaluating options for a legal and operational structure to support international business expansion, and worked with the company’s business and tax teams to develop estimates of the net tax benefits associated with implementation of different structures.
- Advised an Australian-based provider of automotive parts in connection with the review and ultimate modification of its U.S. capital structure, improving the company’s worldwide tax efficiency and simplifying tax and financial reporting.
- Acted as regular outside advisor to a family office in connection with worldwide tax planning for the family’s personal and business transactions, including acquisition of U.S. real property for both investment and personal use, allocation of assets to various classes of investment funds, pre-residency planning for family members, and various tax compliance and reporting initiatives.
- Acted as regular outside advisor to a European financial institution in connection with a fund of funds program involving the establishment of a series of funds of funds to be marketed to non-U.S. private banking clients, and offering access to investments across a number of asset classes and regions.
- Represented a U.S. citizen in connection with his sale of U.S. and European business assets, including the impact of his U.S. federal and state tax residency on the tax consequences of the sales.
- LL.M. New York University School of Law 2004
- University of Southern California, Gould School of Law 2002
- B.A. Bucknell University 1998
Bar Admissions : California, New York
Professional Memberships :
- Past Chair, Foreign Tax Committee, Tax Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Rate : $$$