For nearly three decades, Corey E. Klein has litigated a broad range of complex business cases in trial and appellate courts and before arbitrators and government agencies. He regularly represents clients in a wide variety of commercial litigation in industries including legal services, insurance, manufacturing and distribution, film and television production, Internet commerce, real estate development, and many others.
He has successfully defended local, regional, national, and international law firms accused of legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, malicious prosecution, or other wrongdoing involving legal services disciplines. He has successfully defended lawyers and law firms in State Bar proceedings and regularly advises on professional responsibility issues.
He has extensive experience in employment matters, having successfully defended employers in all types of employment litigation brought by individuals as class actions or by government agencies. His representative matters include claims of wrongful termination, age discrimination, disability discrimination, sex discrimination, national origin discrimination, sexual harassment, Worker Adjustment and Restraining Notification (WARN) Act violations, and wage and hour law violations.
He also regularly counsels businesses on a wide variety of employment law and human resource issues including employee benefits, personnel policies and procedures, employee handbooks, and governmental compliance.
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1987
- Member, UCLA Moot Honors Program
- University of California, Davis, B.S., Environmental Policy Analysis/Science, 1984
- High Honors
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Dean’s Citation for Outstanding Performance
- Business and Contract Litigation
- Represented a restaurant owner group in a corporate governance dispute with the company’s majority shareholders.
- Represented a pipeline contractor in a dispute with its subcontractors.
- Represented a major venture capital company in an action brought by other major investors regarding an initial public offering (IPO) of an online ticketing company. Obtained a complete defense verdict at trial, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented a national packaging company in numerous commercial disputes.
- Employment Counseling and Litigation
- Defended a venture capital firm in a class action suit regarding violations of wage and hour laws, the WARN Act, and meal break laws.
- Defended a national employer in numerous wrongful termination and age, sex, national origin, and disability discrimination actions that had been brought by sales agents and managers.
- Defended numerous corporations in actions brought by independent contractors who had alleged that they should have been treated as employees.
- Professional Malpractice Defense
- Defended a national law firm that was accused of negligently preparing offering memoranda for real estate syndications. Obtained summary judgment, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Defended a national law firm in a malicious prosecution action. Obtained dismissal on an anti-SLAPP motion and a substantial award of attorney’s fees.
- Defended law firms against allegations of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty in providing advice to public companies regarding structured finance deals.
- Represented a national law firm that was being sued for legal malpractice arising from its negotiation and drafting of transaction documents for the sale of a mortgage origination business to a publicly traded investment bank. After a two-month arbitration hearing, Mr. Klein helped obtain a final award in favor of the law firm along with an award of fees and costs as the prevailing party.
- First Amendment Litigation
- Successfully defended a magazine publisher that was accused of product disparagement and trade libel in a number of matters that were brought in state and federal trial courts, and were also disputed on appeal.
- Real Estate and Construction Litigation
- Obtained substantial settlements for condominium and apartment complex developers in construction defect actions that had been brought against major construction companies.
- Represented an apartment complex owner in zoning and easement disputes with a neighboring commercial office tower. Obtained a complete victory on appeal.
- Represented a group of 49 homeowners in a dispute that had been brought against a large land company over the setting of rent on ground leases for the lots on which the homes were located.
Bar and Court Admissions:
- California, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts
- Central and Northern Districts of California
Rate : $$$