Robert J. Durant has tried numerous jury trials in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts, including medical malpractice actions, personal injury actions and criminal matters. He presently serves on the National Litigation Management Team for a Fortune 20 pharmacy chain.
He has represented the client before judges and juries in the states where he is admitted and has conducted mediations and arbitrations throughout the country. In his role, he has reduced the costs incurred for legal fees of the corporation while ensuring consistency in legal services.
He has worked with the client to identify litigation trends while also identifying areas where the client can reduce costs while not sacrificing quality. Bob has embraced the new developments in how legal services are provided and have established metrics for monitoring their success in that regard. Bob has also represented clients in employment litigation.
Bob began his career as a prosecutor with the RI Department of Attorney General. In that position he tried hundreds of bench and jury trials ranging from misdemeanors and narcotics cases to homicides.
He also directed Grand Jury investigations and served as Chief of the Newport County office of the Department. Bob then joined Wistow and Barylick, a prominent plaintiff’s litigation firm where he litigated and tried medical malpractice, commercial, criminal and employment matters.
He later directed the litigation department of a more general firm, Calenda and Iacoi, where he handled malpractice, employment, probate and general negligence matters.
As an advocate for both defendants and plaintiffs, Bob has participated in over three hundred mediations over the past twenty-two years. He now applies that experience acting as a mediator for cases involving professional malpractice, general negligence and employment.
Representative Experience :
- Bob performed the Risk Analysis as part of our client’s acquisition of a chain of medical clinics. In doing so, he performed a top to bottom investigation of the target company’s business model and worked with experts and practitioners to identify areas of exposure and how to improve policies and procedures to improve patient safety.
- Bob served as trial counsel on employment matters for a regional bank handling Title VII and ADA cases as well as FNRA arbitrations.
- Bob served on the Judicial Performance Evaluation Committee of the Rhode Island Supreme Court.
- The Superior Court of Rhode Island has also accepted him as an authority in the area of case and law firm valuations.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, R.I. Mediator’s Association
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 1989
- B.S./B.A., Georgetown University, 1986
- Rhode Island, 1990
- Massachusetts, 1998
- District of Columbia, 2004
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island
Rate : $$$